Oh! Blog.

Oh! It's a blog. When life gives you lemons... throw them at someone you don't like.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Bikeless

My bike was stolen last night. I got back to Takebe after dinner at Chez Moscoso at 10:30, and there was no bike waiting for me. I figured I’d just parked it somewhere else and couldn’t find it in the dark, so I slept on it, and checked again this morning. No bike.
When I arrived at the BOE after my morning of classes at elementary school, I told my supervisor. After a bit of “ehhh?” he thought for a moment, then said, “but you have another bike, right?” THAT’S NOT THE BLOODY POINT. And anyway, that granny bike’s an unrideable dud. The conversation quickly faded, nothing happened.
Later, a couple of BOE colleagues came back from a meeting, including the sole English speaker. She was filled in with the news; she asked where it had gone missing from. Then, the conversation in the room shifted, and I was being asked how to say “eh” and “eto” in English.Goodness. Thanks so much for your help and concern, everyone. Sometimes I really do think the famed kindness of the Japanese is just a big ol’myth.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was it a BOE bike or one you owned? If its theirs demand a replacement. If its yours report it to the cops, it may have been dumped as a prank. Also check the railway bike racks; you might find one you like :)

I am a nony mouse cos I don't want to be an irresponsible parent;)

6:00 pm  
Blogger Chris C said...

You are now a victim of Japan's only crime (tm). I think umbrellas and bikes at train stations are seen as public property and are available to all under a bizarre legal clause. I used to get warned about having my bike stolen from Katsuyama station, but the people who warned me hadn't seen my turquoise granny-mobile with it's broken brakes and shattered light...

10:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home