Oh! Blog.

Oh! It's a blog. When life gives you lemons... throw them at someone you don't like.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Six syllables! Six!!

The maths teacher / baseball coach at my school is a busy man. So busy, in fact, that he doesn't even have time for all the syllables in his morning greetings. For him, "ohayo gozaimasu" must be reduced from six syllables to a more efficient one: "masu!" It sounds like "muss" to me, and something about it drives me batty.
Today was an exam day, so I knew I had no classes. So, I figured it was okay to not shave and not iron my shirt, as I didn't have to look good for anyone. Of course, with my luck, today turned out to be the day of the annual staff photo. Everyone looked immaculate in their black suits... except me. It would be great if someone told me these things, wrote it on the blackboard, handed out a notice, something, anything so I didn't have to stand out any more than I already do.
Meanwhile I spent a pleasant afternoon cleaning out my desk, after a year and a bit. It turns out that Takebe - and that exact desk - has a long ALT history. I found worksheets dating back to 1998, handwritten with the pictures pasted on by hand. Word! My kingdom for Word!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you getting old and crotchety? Are you losing your sense of humour? Is it the stressful occupation that is causing this foul tempered tirade against that great guy the baseball coach?

Just to keep a sense of realism in this veryu seriousu topicu do you realise that:

"Good morning how are you?" has six syllables but "Hi!" only has one. So are you suggesting we stop saying "Hi"?

"Good morning how are you?" takes 27 keystrokes and tires me out just trying to find the right keys so I refuse to use it and I cannot even pronounce "ohayo gozaimasu" so "Masu' to you too.

5:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, i still make handwritten worksheets with pictures stuck on

10:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home